Preparing your home for winter in Newmarket, NH is vital for staying warm and protecting it. By being proactive, you can lower energy bills and increase the lifespan and efficiency of the home’s components.
- Check Your Heating System: Take the time to change your filters and have it looked at by a reputable HVAC contractor.
- Seal Exterior Wood: The wood trim on the exterior of the house should be protected from the elements. Replacing trim can be expensive, so it’s best to make sure it doesn’t rot, to begin with.
- Check Drainage: Make sure soil around the foundation hasn’t settled because this can create areas for water to pool. Be sure the water is going to move away from the home.
- Clean Gutters: Once the leaves are off the trees, then you need to clean the gutters. When the gutters back up, it can overflow into the home.
- Clean the Chimney: Have the fireplace inspected before you start to build fires for the winter. Now is the time to get new firewood and make sure that the firewood isn’t rotten.
- Test Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Detectors: Winter is a typical time for house fires. Carbon monoxide can also be a big issue because the house is closed up. Check the detectors or consider getting some if your home is not equipped.
- Shut Down the Sprinkler System: Your sprinkler system should be shut down, and many systems require the lines to be blown out. The outside water faucet is not protected from the elements so it can freeze during winter. Take the time to do a necessary drain of the line.
- Check the Trees: Make sure trees are healthy, so they don’t fall on your home or your neighbor’s home during a winter storm.
- Be Sure Your Home Insurance Is Up to Date: Now is as good a time as any to check to make sure your home insurance in Newmarket, NH will cover any winter storms. An agent at Keslar Insurance Agency can help update your policy if needed.
Contact Keslar Insurance Agency to get a quote on home insurance and have your questions answered.