Click to Call
Keslar Insurance Agency

114 Main Street
Newmarket, NH 03857

Get Directions
Keslar Insurance Agency Blog

Insurance Blog

Boat Insurance: What you need and why

boatBoating season is just around the corner. Here’s some FAQ’s we often get about how to protect you, your boat and others, so you can enjoy your time on the water!

Are all boat insurance policies the same? No. There are different types of boat insurance. Sailboats, water-ski boats, fishing boats, cruisers and personal water craft each may have different insurance requirements.

Won’t my homeowner’s insurance cover my boat? Many homeowners policies often will have a minimal amount of coverage for really small boats like a sailboat. Also, your homeowners insurance may provide limited coverage if the boat is damaged while parked on your property, but it may not cover stolen contents or vandalism. Discuss with your agent ways to protect your boat additional risks with things like an umbrella policy.

What does boat insurance cover? A boat policy covers:

  • liability if someone is injured on your craft
  • bodily injury that your boat inflicts on others
  • property damage your boat inflicts on docks and other boats
  • physical damage to your boat should you hit something or run aground.

You can also purchase comprehensive coverage against theft, vandalism, fire and flood, personal property coverage for your fishing gear, uninsured boater insurance and even roadside assistance in the event you need a tow.

What about the months I don’t use my boat? Do I need to insure it? A boat policy may allow you to “lay up” or suspend coverage for specified periods when you’re not using the boat. Discuss with your agent the trade-offs to suspending coverages.

What is “Agreed value” vs. “market value” or “actual cash value”? With agreed value, the insured and insurer agree on the value of the boat upfront. If something happens to the boat, you’re going to get paid up to the agreed value. With market value or actual cash value, the boat depreciates; so if the boat is destroyed, you’re going to get enough money to replace the boat’s (current) value. Owners of newer boats and boats that are financed typically go with agreed value. Owners of older boats may consider cash value.

Is my boat covered when I’m trailering it?

When the boat is attached to your car or truck, you are covered by your auto policy should you back into somebody. Note, you are only covered to the limits of that auto policy. Always check those amounts with your agent.

What if my boat isn’t worth much. Do I still need insurance?
You should never be without adequate liability insurance. Accidents do happen and you could be in a situation where someone is seriously hurt or you caused major damage to another boat or facility.

Have more questions on insuring your boat? Always talk to a reputable independent agent who can provide you with choices. We are happy to help. We can be reached at 603-273-0953 or www.


Thinking of moving? Have a few homeowner’s insurance claims? What you should know

movingYou’ve determined it is time to move to a new home. You’ve had a run of bad luck and have a few claims filed with your homeowner’s insurance company in the past few years. Now, you are wondering how that may impact you going forward.

Do the claims follow me or the house?

Let’s look at how the claims impact you. When you go to get insurance on a new home, the new insurance carrier will pull what they call “reports.” Part of these reports show  your claims history. Typically, each carrier considers your claims history over different periods of time and has different eligibility requirements that they will accept. In many cases, a recent history of multiple claims could cause you to either incur higher insurance premiums for your new home or even make you ineligible for their products. Fortunately, an independent agent often has multiple carriers they can work with so they are much more likely to find you some good coverages at the best price they can.

Will these claims haunt me forever?

No. Remember, each company has different guidelines on how far back they look at claims and what they are willing to accept. Over time, these claims will “drop off” your reports, allowing you to potentially purchase better insurance products at better prices. Regardless if you are selling your home or not, your agent should be reviewing this with you and the carriers each year to ensure you are not overpaying or in the wrong product for your needs.

How does this typically impact those buying my current home?

Great question. One would think that a home with numerous claims would have a more difficult time getting insurance. This may be true, but often this is more because the home may require some updating or repairs than because of the number of historic claims.

Will the new buyers of my home know about the claims?

When their insurance agent pulls the buyer’s “reports” with that new address, the claims often come across on the reports. They aren’t typically penalized because of these claims as they would be attributed to you, the seller. But it is possible they could become aware of a claims history. You should always make sure you work with a licensed Real Estate agent to ensure you are handling all disclosures about your property correctly.

Still have questions?

Always talk to your homeowner’s insurance agent anytime you are considering making a change like moving, renovating or buying additional property. All of these things can impact your insurance in ways you may not have considered. Your agent can help address any questions, point out any risks and ensure that you have the right protection at the right time. We’d be happy to help with that too! We can be reached at 603-273-0953 or www.




Major home renovation? Your homeowners insurance may need to change

hammer.jpgPlanning a major renovation to your home or new purchase? Maybe one that is so big you can not live in the home while work is done? What you may not realize is that your traditional homeowner’s insurance policies typically will not cover many common risks during this process. Instead, your agent should direct you to a Builder’s Risk insurance policy. It is important coverage that protects your investment from unforeseen risks, weather damage and material damage.

What Builders Risk Insurance Covers

Your builders risk insurance policy will often cover:

  • Property damage: Includes construction material, heavy machinery and equipment, temporary structures, cribbing, false work, fencing, scaffolding, construction signs and landscaping
  • Theft: theft of building materials
  • Labor costs and earned profits: Replaces labor costs, income and expenses
  • Perils of nature and man-made disasters: Hurricanes, fires, blizzards, severe hail storms, lightning, black outs, broken water mains
  • Other damages: Negligent workmanship, flawed materials or design

Some coverage will be part of a basic policy and other items will need to be added on. It is important that you work through the details of a policy beforehand with your agent.

What Is excluded from a Builders Risk Insurance Policy? What else do I need?

Note that these policies do not cover accidents and injuries at the workplace or liability risks. They will also often exclude certain acts of nature, such as earthquakes and floods. Typically you can buy liability, flood insurance and earthquake insurance separately. You should strongly consider acquiring separate liability insurance. Ask your agent about this important coverage.

Doesn’t my contractor’s business policy cover this?

You’ll need a policy if your contractor doesn’t have proper coverage. Be sure to ask your contractor what type of insurance he is carrying and what his limits are. You should get a certificate of insurance from your builder that is comprehensive and includes liability coverage even on completed construction operations. Whether you need insurance depends also on your contract with your general contractor and what that specifies.

How Long Does the Insurance Last? What do I do when my project is complete?

Normally the insurance lasts three, six or twelve months. The coverage ends when the building is completed or occupied. Once the work is just about complete, you should begin talking to your agent about a more traditional homeowner’s insurance policy so it can be lined up in time for completion.

Fast Claims

When you are on a strict construction timeline, getting fast claims service will be essential in order to complete your project and meet your budget.

The Advantage of Working with an Independent Agent

Whenever you take on a new construction project, it is important to have an independent agent on your team to help you minimize your “course of construction” building risks. Your agent will provide you with access to multiple companies and builders risk insurance policy options and advise you on how to customize the options to your specific construction project. We’d be happy to review your options for your given situation. We can be reached at 603-273-0953 or

Keslar insurance: The Realtor’s Resource

house for sale signWe have years of experience working closely with our Realtor partners. We understand that ensuring that the home buyers have home owners insurance is one more thing that needs to get done as part of a bigger home buying process and can become a headache if not handled correctly. Therefore, we have formalized our commitment to supporting our professional partners.

How we help our Realtor partners:

  1. Accessibility:  We understand that your customers want quick responses and so do you. Service is everything. If someone reaches out to Keslar Insurance, you can be certain we will respond, quickly, often as necessary, at the time and in the manner your customers desire- same goes for you when you reach out to us!
  2. Communication: We want to partner with you. With our mutual clients permission, we will make sure we keep you in the loop as your customer’s quotes and policies come into effect so you can check those boxes off before your closings.
  3. Education:  As specialists, our obligation is to know insurance. We can be your resource on issues that can impact any coverages on homes you are selling or your buyers are buying.  If you are looking for a quick general answer or a detailed explanation, we have years of experience asking the right questions and providing the right answers to help you feel confident that issues are addressed correctly.
  4. Marketing Support: We want this to be a partnership. We are interested to work with you on your marketing/networking etc.  We actively create relevant blog posts, social media posts and more that you are welcome to share with your customers and prospects.  Topics include Vacant properties, moving related insurance questions, builder’s risk policies and so much more. The goal: to help position you with your contacts as a “thought leader” in all aspects of their buying/selling process. Also, Let’s keep in touch about networking opportunities,  first time buyer seminars, creation of marketing materials to allow you to reach prospects and customers presenting us as part of your support team.

How we help your customers:

  1. Exceptional service. We pride ourselves in treating our customers the way we want to be treated.  A real person answers the phone. We answer questions, respond quickly and thoroughly to all communications, and reach out immediately when we need to communicate with our customers. We follow up regularly and stay in touch with our customers. This includes annual insurance reviews as well periodic check-ins throughout the year.
  2. Insurance Knowledge. We have years of experience which allows us to know details about insurance products and coverages so we can not only make sure our customers are adequately protected, but we can educate them on what they really need and why they need it so they can be confident that they are getting the right coverages at the right prices.
  3. Provide a broad range of carrier options. As an independent agency, we are able to work on the behalf of our clients. This means we research the right products for them from our vast carrier network. We have partnered over a 12 of the leading national and regional carriers in the area, those with solid ratings, resulting in the opportunity to place customers with the right “fit” based upon their personal needs. This includes single family, multi-family, condo, landlord’s, renters, mobile home and so much more.
  4. Internet based for customer convenience.  We are not your old-fashioned insurance agency. We don’t have big file cabinets in our offices. Instead we use technology to streamline the work for our customers. All our files are online which allows our customers to use our online support center to review policies, get ID cards and place change requests. We also offer online quoting for home and auto policies so clients have 24/7 access to quotes as well. We provide e-signature options for client convenience so they can complete all paperwork effortlessly from their phones or computers. We also have electronic payment options for additional convenience.
  5. Licensed in NH, ME, and MA. We are able to provide comprehensive insurance options in both New Hampshire and Maine so we can help wherever your customers live.

We sincerely appreciate your consideration to be your insurance partner. We’d love to build a relationship with you that helps foster success of your business. To discuss this further, we can be reached at 603-273-0953 or

Selling your home? A vacant home may require different insurance

home insurance for a vacant home

So, you’ve moved and are in the process of selling your home. Your personal belongings are out of the home. You are no longer sleeping there. Nobody is living there regularly. Your current traditional homeowners insurance may not cover you home if it is vacant.

You need find a policy that makes it easy for you to move, renovate your home or put it up for sale. Make sure you get one that will only cover for the amount of time you need.

Things to look for in a vacant homeowner’s policy:

  • Named Peril Coverage.

    This means the policy cover “perils” (fire, explosion, lightning, windstorm and hail damage) which are specifically named in your policy, subject to policy exclusions and conditions.

  • Vandalism and Malicious Mischief Coverage.

    Many companies don’t offer this important coverage on an unoccupied home, but some carriers do. Ask about that when getting a quote.

  • Full 12 Month Policy.

    Look for a company that offers flexible payment plans and a pro-rated cancellation, if you need to cancel before your year is up. Also ask about renewal options as some may not allow you to renew after a year. Some carriers will offer options to renew for up to four years! Things change, you may not sell your home as quickly as you think!

  • Agreed Loss Settlement.

    If your home is destroyed by an insured loss, you receive the full amount of agreed upon insurance for your home (minus any applicable deductible).  No hassles.

  • Liability Coverage.

    This provides coverage if you’re found legally responsible for an accident that causes injury to someone on the rental premises or causes property damage.

  • Actual Cash Value.

    In the event of a covered loss, this covers the cost to replace or repair your damaged property, with a deduction for depreciation, which reflects that age and condition of your home.

An independent agent can help you choose the right policy for your vacant home property, so you can relax while someone else takes care of the paperwork! Please contact us to help you manage these situations.  We can be reached at at or 603-273-0953.

Keslar Insurance Ribbon Cutting with the Exeter Chamber of Commerce

IMG_3726keslar2.jpg IMG_9882-Exeter-Chamber-ribbon-cutting.jpg

The Ribbon cutting ceremony with the Exeter Chamber of Commerce was a success! Thanks to the following attendees who braved the rain to join us:

Bette Gianino & Richard Parker
Jon Goulet – Home Innovations Corp
Crystal Gordon – Arbonne International
Bill DaGiau – Annies Angels

Greg Schena – Masiello Commercial Real Estate
Hunter Putnam – The Idea Garage

 Photo credits: Bobbi Vandenbulcke, Member Services Director, Exeter Area Chamber of Commerce.


We thank you for referrals: Pick your favorite

We consider a referral to be the ultimate compliment. That means you trust us to take care of your friends, family, neighbors, coworkers, anyone close to you- and always provide them the right insurance coverages and exceptional customer service.

For every home, auto, business, or life quote we do because of you, we’d like to send you a personalized thank you.

Pick your own “thank you” from the options below:-)

Gotta love my coffee:

  • Dunkin Donuts Gift Card
  • Aroma Joe’s Gift card

Keep me going:

  • Irving Gas card

I’m a shopper:

  • I’d like a little “treat” from

Pay it forward. Give me the gift of Good Karma. Make a donation to the following local charity, part of the Keslar Cares initiative to help others:

Referral values are $5 for each home quote and $5 for each auto quote ($10 combined!).  To take advantage of this program, you can simply fill out the form below. Or you may call us, email us or have the person you referred call us or email us and let us know that you have done the referring and we will take care of the rest! We can be reached at 603-273-0953 or

Thank you again for taking the time to think of us. It is sincerely appreciated!  We promise to take great care of anyone that you send our way!
[contact-form to=’’ subject=’Referral program submission from Blog’][contact-field label=’Your Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Pick your Reward’ type=’select’ required=’1′ options=’Dunkin Donuts,Aroma Joe%26#039;s,Iriving Oil Gas Card,Amazon gift Card,Charity: Annie%26#039;s Angels,Charity: Zebra Crossings,Charity: E68 Hours of Hunger,Charity: On Belay,Charity: Arts in Reach’/][contact-field label=’Who you are referring’ type=’name’/][contact-field label=’Contact email for person you are referring’ type=’email’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]

Get a Quote

What we offer


  • New Hampshire
  • Maine
  • Massachusetts



Our Trusted Partners

  • Concord Group Insurance
  • Foremost Insurance Group
  • Great Falls
  • Hanover Insurance Co.
  • Main Street America
  • MetLife
  • Mt Washington Mutual
  • Providence Mutual
  • Progressive
  • Safety Insurance